Artist Statement



Making visual work is essential for me. The process of making allows me to express emotions and self-affirmations. My emotions are rooted in trauma, and making the work is a therapeutic process. Through a daily practice, my work has expanded to include visuals that reach beyond the trauma and address value in one’s individual self. I strive to create work which conveys a sense of self-confidence while acknowledging moments of vulnerability.

This body of work is a collection of self-portraits. By physically representing myself, I take ownership of my past, present, and future self. Each piece speaks to the many facets of self-identification with a focus on sexual and cultural identity. I utilize symbols, facial expressions and body posture to visually narrate my personal story. I recognize the power a symbol has to communicate a belief system and represent a culture. I incorporate and adapt symbols to speak my truth. Physical attributes represent attitudes and emotions associated with a particular personal experience. The reoccurrence of pink in my work is significant. Contemporary culture uses pink to represent femininity. This hue is derived from the color red, which can be perceived as masculine. Therefore, pink represents the origin of femininity within a masculine construct.

I receive immense gratification from my work. I value the time I spend developing concepts. I utilize various materials and methods to communicate an idea. I like to think I am materializing my identity and take comfort in knowing I can translate unspoken words to visual expression.

Comments